Thursday, May 21, 2009

Effortless

beauty is fluid. you'll never find a measuring cup adequate for its contents. So let's assume everything has the potential for beauty, no matter how skewed it may seem. beauty isn't a person, an object or even a place. it is what it is. something may not always be beautiful, but in a fleeting fragmentary moment it might dazzle you into a stunned silence. it may push you into a state between euphoria and complete awe. all ego is lost to the transitory id.

she is beautiful. on first glance she seems quite ordinary, on the second or third you can expect the same conclusion. but as you sit with her, you notice the delicate contour of her bones. some might call her frail. you however notice how each limb flows onto the next to create a sense of emaciated poetry. you let your eyes indulge in her, a form that would rival Rilke.

she's wearing a dress. far from the mainstream fashion, for no other reason than to wear it. she sits unconventionally, in a manner you wouldn't dare with a dress that length. and yet she's perfectly at ease, pen in hand listening to the lecture. there's a silent grace in her form that you've never encountered before. an effortless way of being that seems wholly without pretention. her hair falls about her shoulders creating a dark cloak around her. no product, no accessories. she runs a tired hand through it, it stays in it's messed state and yet she is beautiful.

her lips are bright red and yet her skin is not porcelain. she wears no other make-up although she isn't flawless. there's an internal self-comfort that radiates through her body. like the pure embodiment of Rube Goldberg's intentions, she has a rhythm all her own.

i sit next to her, hair heavy with product, teased, combed, dried and sprayed. i wear my mask: napolean foundation number 3, mocha eye shadow, revlon eyeliner, limited edition raven mascara, multi-toned bronzer, plum lipstick and green apple scented gloss. i play with the sleeves of my coat, pulling and adjusting. overly conscious of my appearance. it's been raining, i don't feel presentable. but beauty is not found in perfection, i tell myself. again my eyes fall on her.

there's no desire behind the gaze, no need to feel the tendrils of her hair or the contours of her body. just a silent appreciation of all that she seems. superficial maybe, but it's her essence of being i envy.

tossing her head back she slides low into her chair. the strap of her dress falls from a delicate shoulder, her hair's ruffled and as i notice this i feel her eyes on me.

'I'll never get this.' she sighs, suppressing a yawn.

'Neither.'

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was beautifully written!
I think you should change your header to; "I am a writer with a big imagination"

From Julia (random fan of your youtube and now also blog) :)

x0brittx0 said...

that absolutely made my arms tingly. i've thought that so many times - sitting in class, watching girls come in with beauty that seems so effortless. i spent an hour and a half on my make up and hair this morning. it rained. my hair is frizzy and i've rubbed most of my make up off.

you're beautiful with and without effort.

RnB said...

Is it wrong that I wanna meet this described girl. Until then let's call her...Nikki, Gondorian 1, or spaz. Why, no reason.

Your writing is always descriptive yet to the point. I really love that about your words. It's not an easy thing to do. Verbosity is alright sometimes but efficient, descriptive, and imaginative writing should be admired.

munchkinhugs said...

min.
that was fantastic.

Teacup said...

True story?

I really liked it. It's fluid and pensive and sad, like most of your work, which I really like. You do melancholy very well.

Liv =] said...

I can't describe how much I loved that. You're right, beauty is immeasurable. That piece was beautiful =].

Kimmy said...

Absolutely amazing. I love how you word things. Beauty has changed its meaning over the years. And in today's society, what was once found beautiful today will not be beautiful tomorrow.

Kimmy said...

Absolutely amazing. I love how you word things. Beauty has changed its meaning over the years. And in today's society, what was once found beautiful today will not be beautiful tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Wow. That was some very impressive writing. Very deep as well. Not your usual blog material. Bravo. (Sorry, that sounds sarcastic, but it's not supposed to be. I mean it.)

creativemachine said...

2 things
1. That was awesome (as always)
2. I just noticed how cool your nails are in that photo of you holding up the toy camera.

Captcha: Stabions: n. street for those sweet talons of yours. (that's a compliment, I swear)

Anonymous said...

Minh,
That was quite a piece..the person you decribed existant or not..You decribed very well..It was tho you wanted to become part of her..any part of her

Reminded me very much of a book I once read by David Hume
Beauty in things exists merely in the mind which contemplates them.

Free and limitless is your imagination Minh.

Sean said...

And words strung together like this are inherently beautiful as well (the allusions and a 'transitory id' - very nice).

You and Nikki: wordsmith partners in crime? ;)